Friday, April 17, 2015

Count the Omer-Week 2-/Gevurah (DISCIPLINE)-Day 7/ Malchut (KINGDOM)

A beautiful Jewish star made in Peru.

Week 2-/Gevurah (DISCIPLINE)-Day 7/ Malchut (KINGDOM)

“When we respect our blood ancestors and our spiritual ancestors, we feel rooted. If we find ways to cherish and develop our spiritual heritage, we will avoid the kind of alienation that is destroying society, and we will become whole again. Learning to touch deeply the jewels of our own tradition will allow us to understand and appreciate the values of other traditions, and this will benefit everyone.” 
-Thich Nhat Hanh-

I think at the root level it might be easier to love and appreciate each other. Our fundamental values are certainly quite similar. It is as we move towards the branches, the details, of how we see approaching the One that gets a bit sticky. Today when buying my kosher wine the salesclerk identified my Punjabi Indian clothing and I identified his Sikh holy bracelet. Inquiring about his lack of a turban he told me his father wears it but in the modern world it is best not to separate oneself quite so much. I pointed to my kippah and told him I understood a bit about his choice. Still I will reflect on it over Shabbat.

After nightfall on Friday:

BA-RUCH A-TAH ADO-NAI E-LO-HE-NU ME-LECH HA-OLAM 
ASHER KID-E-SHA-NU BE-MITZ-VO-TAV VETZI-VA-NU AL SEFI-RAT HA-OMER.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the counting of the Omer.

Today is fourteen days which is two weeks of the Omer.




No comments:

Post a Comment