Saturday, April 26, 2014

Counting the Omer-Week 2/JUDGEMENT-Day 5/SPLENDOR


A painting hanging on the side of an apartment building.

Week 2-/(Gevurah) JUDGEMENT-Day 5/(Hod) SPLENDOR

Today was the most beautiful day. The sun was out and brought with it a slight wind so it was warm and cool at the same time. A perfect day for what I had planned and that was to bentsh gomel or say the gomel prayer with my Tot Shabbat community. The gomel blessing is what you say when you have escaped danger which in my case was the space heater catching on fire. How splendid that Jewish tradition realizes ritual is needed to mark certain things that happen to you. With gomel you thank God for having taken of you and the community acknowledges it as well. We would do it during my torah story. I made the judgment to tell everyone what had happened and that I needed their help in bentshing gomel. I knew it would be an unfamiliar prayer for most including myself and I gave everyone the page number in the siddur where they could read the words. By the time we had finished it was like magic. Splendid and cleansing. 

After nightfall on Saturday:

BA-RUCH A-TAH ADO-NAI E-LO-HE-NU ME-LECH HA-OLAM 
ASHER KID-E-SHA-NU BE-MITZ-VO-TAV VETZI-VA-NU AL SEFI-RAT HA-OMER.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the counting of the Omer.

Today is twelve days which is one week and five days of the Omer.

No comments:

Post a Comment