Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Counting the Omer-Week 3/COMPASSION-Day 1/LOVE


A live conch on Sanibel beach, Forida.

Week 3-/(Tiferet) COMPASSION-Day 1/(Chesed) LOVE


One of the stories that got me to Sanibel beach, Florida was about a friend and her parents who went there 40 yrs ago. A toothless woman helped them find lots of live conch which they boiled to kill the animal and then kept all the shells. My friend found the shells still in bags in the basement of her parents house when recently cleaning it. The story really stuck in my mind. Every live conch I found while walking the Sanibel beach I made sure to pick up and throw back deep into the ocean. It may seem funny but my heart felt so bad for those long ago murdered conch and I know my friend now feels bad too. Our compassion may be turned to big situations or tiny small helpless things like these conch. The loving-kindness I showed  to these conch may not change the world in a big way but more than likely most of us only have small ways to change things. Let love help you be compassionate each day in some any way possible.

After nightfall on Tuesday:

BA-RUCH A-TAH ADO-NAI E-LO-HE-NU ME-LECH HA-OLAM 
ASHER KID-E-SHA-NU BE-MITZ-VO-TAV VETZI-VA-NU AL SEFI-RAT HA-OMER.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the counting of the Omer.

Today is fifteen days which is two weeks and one day of the omer.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know Loren Eisley's starfish story? Here's a link: http://eventsforchange.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/the-starfish-story-one-step-towards-changing-the-world/

    Hopefully you get to experience some of that "it made a difference to that one!" through the children you teach (and their families).

    ReplyDelete