Thursday, May 8, 2014

Counting the Omer-Week 4/ENDURANCE-Day 3/COMPASSION


Several different breed of birds rest together at Myakka.

Week 4-/(Netzach) ENDURANCE-Day 3/(Tiferet) COMPASSION


This week one subject in many of our minds is whether we should  celebrate, or make presents for Mother's Day. There will be pink cards,  pink flowers offered up as potential gifts reminding me of the pink rose bills I saw in Florida.  In the bible we are told to show respect to our parents both mothers and fathers. They are not separated, This concept of respect has endured for a long time. In contrast the American incarnation of Mother's Day was created in 1908 and only became an official U.S. holiday in 1914, just a hundred years ago. It lacks compassion for any of us who have not managed to have children as we are surrounded by ads and commercials for the holiday. When people say "happy mother's day" to me assuming I must be one it only reminds me of how I have failed to do so. This year though a parent came up to me and said "You may not be a mother but I will never forget how you were the teacher to my son so happy mother's day". This compassion melted my heart.

After nightfall on Thursday:

BA-RUCH A-TAH ADO-NAI E-LO-HE-NU ME-LECH HA-OLAM 
ASHER KID-E-SHA-NU BE-MITZ-VO-TAV VETZI-VA-NU AL SEFI-RAT HA-OMER.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the counting of the Omer.

Today is twenty four days which is three weeks and three days of the omer.

No comments:

Post a Comment