Thursday, May 29, 2014

Counting the Omer-Week 7/KINGDOM-Day 3/COMPASSION


All the chamsas the children and teachers made.

Week 7-/(Malchut) KINGDOM-Day 3/(Tiferet) COMPASSION

A leader needs the capacity for compassion but also to lead their followers to compassionate thinking and acting. Today I did that with my class after we received a letter from the husband of a co-worker. He has been very sick and for seven months we included his Hebrew name in our daily mishaberach prayer for those who are ill. The note said "Your prayers have been a blessing to me and for that I thank you. They comforted me each day because I knew I was not alone. Your prayers reached G-d. He has helped me recover and heal. All of you, each and everyone of you, will always be in my heart. May G-d bless you as he has blessed me." The class was so moved when I read the letter out loud they wanted to write back. When I told them Shalom David is blind they wanted to make something he could feel so everyone made a combo chamsa prayer flag glueing small jewels onto their outlined hand shape. At the bottom of their hands I wrote a positive word they picked. When it was Judah's turn he said "Shalom David will never be able to see? That is so sad." Then he picked the word "compassion." Tomorrow I will string the hands together and present it to my co-worker to take home for her husband



After nightfall on Thursday:

BA-RUCH A-TAH ADO-NAI E-LO-HE-NU ME-LECH HA-OLAM 
ASHER KID-E-SHA-NU BE-MITZ-VO-TAV VETZI-VA-NU AL SEFI-RAT HA-OMER.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the counting of the Omer.

Today is forty-five days which is six weeks and three days of the omer.

No comments:

Post a Comment