Saturday, May 10, 2014

Counting the Omer-Week 4/ENDURANCE-Day 5/SPLENDOR


Judah's papier-mache chicken on the shelf.

Week 4-/(Netzach) ENDURANCE-Day 5/(Hod) SPLENDOR


This weekend is about family even more so than usual because of Mother's Day. We endure because of or in spite of our mothers. If we are not mothers who have birthed a child then perhaps we are mothers by mothering someone else's child. Before Shabbat came in Judah, one of my 5yr old students and thus one of "my" children, texted me "I love you Menuhah. I love you a lot". He also sent me a photo  of the papier-mache chicken we worked on in class to let me know it went up on a shelf besides other works of art. The texted words will endure in my heart. Upon receiving the photo I knew I would use it for this blog. I requested and received permission to do so. As we gather with family for mother's day outings we may not find everything as perfect as we imagined. No matter. In some way it will be splendid and in some way it will endure. 

After nightfall on Saturday:

BA-RUCH A-TAH ADO-NAI E-LO-HE-NU ME-LECH HA-OLAM 
ASHER KID-E-SHA-NU BE-MITZ-VO-TAV VETZI-VA-NU AL SEFI-RAT HA-OMER.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the counting of the Omer.

Today is twenty six days which is three weeks and five days of the omer.

1 comment:

  1. How perfect that I should read this now, sitting in my Mom's kitchen, helping her prepare her breakfast. Thanks for sharing this, and all your thoughts....Happy Mother's Day, Menuhah :-)

    ReplyDelete